1

Clubs gather to recruit new members at AACC event

Emma Trevino
Simon Ward, left, and Sierra Luers represent Amaranth, AACC’s student journal for the arts, at the campus Involvement Fair event.

Students explored a variety of campus clubs at an Involvement Fair in the SUN Dining Hall on Feb.12.

Representatives of about 23 clubs gathered from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. to discuss their organizations with more than 100 students and encourage them to join.

“It’s really a chance for…all the active clubs at AACC to come together and show the student body what we got,” Student Government Association President Zack Buster said.“A lot of times, people don’t realize just how many student organizations we have and resources that we have for students on campus.”

Buster said students who are involved in campus clubs do better in school.

“There’s tons of studies that show when students are involved in clubs, their grades go up, their mental health gets better,” Buster said. “Because they build those connections that they need in order to open doors to them and they get that group of people who they can surround themselves with and they find their people.”

Some club officers handed out candy to students. Representatives of the Experience Campus Ministry, for example, gave out M&Ms, Starbursts and other goodies along with flyers for interested students.

But some club members, like Latinx Club President Ashley Flores, found some challenges during the event.

Flores said she typically collects email addresses for potential club members but has trouble reaching them later.

Still, students who attended the event said they found some clubs to join.

“The Interior Design Club caught my eye,” student Katherine Gunther, who attended the fair, said.

“I got a flier for the Game Development Club,” student Melody Mackall, who also attended, added.