1

AACC organization asks Black men to reach out

Courtesy of the Black Male Institute
The Black Male Institute hosted an event to encourage Black male students to have open discussions about their experience.

The Student Achievement and Success Program hosted an event to encourage Black men to have open conversations about their thoughts and experiences on Wednesday.

The SASP hosted the Black Male Institute Focus Group to revive the BMI so they can create a safe space for Black male students.

“AACC has over 800 Black men on campus,” Kenneth Gilliard, the SASP retention adviser, said. “There is a need and desire for community.”

According to Gilliard, this is the first time that the BMI hosted a “focus group,” but it is a part of a larger push to hear student voices.

“[These] events are … involved with the Black male community, but [we are] making sure that we are also … allowing others to participate,” Gilliard said. “This event specifically focused on the student perspective, while giving a safe space for faculty and staff to also chime in.”

There is a need for a “safe space” on campus for Black male students, according to Gilliard.

“As Black men, we often are siloed and we often … don’t take into resources as needed,” Gilliard said. “There is a need … for community brotherhood [and] for the conversations, we just need to provide and make sure that we are accessible.”

Rayna Simon, the SASP assistant director, said the BMI is “imperative” for AACC to invest in.

“We have a high population of Black male students at the college and giving them opportunities to discuss things that matter to them and a space in place for them to be heard … [is] needed,” Simon said. 

Third-year public health student Nathaniel Wofford said the event was “really reassuring.”

“It was definitely, like, ripping the band-aid off,” Wofford said. “It’s very easy for students, especially coming out of the pandemic, to feel isolated.

Wofford added: “Events like this … that get students in the same room where they can connect and reflect is good for, you know, not just, like, morale but good for gaining that insight that … you’re not the only one going through this.”

Tenth-year restaurant management student Timothy Dabaey said it’s important for students to have a support system and this event gave students the opportunity to “encourage” one another.