The award-winning newspaper of Anne Arundel Community College.

Ads
  • At Soapbox Sisters, one of the events for this year's Women's History Month, students will perform speeches and poems by women.
Club Ads
Recently on Instagram
Something is wrong.
Instagram token error.
1
Recently on Twitter

2 student organizations seek members to sign up

Adobe Stock photo
The Filipino Student Association may reboot this semester, as a new Communications Club gets off the ground.

Students and faculty are trying to start a Filipino culture club and a communications club on campus.
Second-year kinesiology student Nathan Villanueva started the Filipino Student Association last semester, but, according to club adviser Vita Chalk, most of its officers graduated before it could get fully established.
Villanueva said last semester that Filipino students on campus are “very underrepresented,” and a social club for them would help with that.
Chalk said in an email that although the club has stopped for now, “interested students can contact me and we may be able to get it going for the fall term.”
Communications professor Jessica Mattingly said she hopes to start a club for communications students this semester or next school year.
“We’re hoping to get a group of our COM majors to get together in regular club meetings to learn more about the major [and] connect with each other,” Mattingly, the academic chair of the Communications and Journalism Department, said. “And then, like, have exploration of different career opportunities with them.”
Mattingly said she polled the communications students in her classes on how she could improve the program, and “the biggest thing they responded to was that they didn’t know who the other COM majors were.”