The award-winning newspaper of Anne Arundel Community College.

Ads
  • At Soapbox Sisters, one of the events for this year's Women's History Month, students will perform speeches and poems by women.
Club Ads
Recently on Instagram
Something is wrong.
Instagram token error.
1
Recently on Twitter

New rule requires at least 2 students, 1 adviser for off-campus club trips

Courtesy of Anthony Santorelli
Student organizations like the Super Science Club, shown, will have to include at least two students and their adviser on future off-campus trips.

A representative of AACC’s Office of Student Engagement told student club presidents on Feb. 9 that all off-campus club trips must include at least two students and an adviser.

Student Involvement and Leadership Specialist Lea Brisbane called the new policy the “rule of three.” Brisbane said the college made this rule so “everyone stays safe.”

“As a student, if I was going on a conference and it was just me and one other professor and I’m not necessarily comfortable with that professor for all that time … it opens the door for a lot of things,” Student Government Association President Zack Buster said. “It’s really just a way for us students to stay safe.”

Brisbane made the announcement at the first SGA General Forum of the semester. SGA hosts these virtual town halls with club officers and other students to share what executives are doing for the student body.

Also at the forum, Brisbane said SGA and OSE aim to make The Nest–the website for student clubs–more efficient for club leaders to find information like forms for travel and reserving an event space.

“It’s just for accessibility reasons,” Buster said. “If you don’t know what template you should put your email in … the forms let you just submit the request, without having to worry about template or format … essentially just making this easier to do.”