1

Enrollment rises 5% in Spring 2024 term

Carmen Scannell
Enrollment in liberal arts classes, like this Drawing 1 class, has increased this semester.

Spring-to-spring enrollment at AACC rose by almost 5% this semester, following an upward trend since the pandemic ended.
Enrollment in the schools of Liberal Arts and Health Sciences grew the most, with increases of about 300 and 200 students respectively, according to preliminary data from the Office of Planning, Research and Institutional Assessment.
“We’ve been intentional in our work to adjust areas where we have an opportunity to increase enrollment,” Vice President for Learner Support Services Felicia Patterson said. “We tried to remove barriers to enrollment and persistence as well as really just kind of working to meet the enrollment needs of our students.”
Patterson said free tuition for public high school students, more online classes and changes in financial aid requirements helped raise enrollment.
According to the National Student Clearinghouse Research Center, national community college enrollment across the country rose this fall by 2.6%, while AACC’s fall-to-fall enrollment increased by about 9.5%.
Four-year university enrollment lagged behind community colleges with a 0.6% increase, according to the Clearinghouse.
“We’re beginning to be seen just as strong, if not stronger, than many four-years out there,” Patterson said.
Enrollment here dropped by about 10% from fall 2023 to spring 2024, which Patterson said happens every year “across the board in higher education.”
“Fall is kind of seen as a starting place for many people when they’re coming to college,” Patterson said. “You see more students come in the fall than … in the spring.”