The award-winning newspaper of Anne Arundel Community College.

Ads
  • At Soapbox Sisters, one of the events for this year's Women's History Month, students will perform speeches and poems by women.
Club Ads
Recently on Instagram
Something is wrong.
Instagram token error.
1
Recently on Twitter

Former pro starts as dance director in fall

AACC’s Dance Company, which has a new director starting this fall, rehearses for a 2022 performance.
Sam Gauntt

A former professional ballet dancer will direct the AACC Dance Company starting this fall.
Adjunct dance professor Margaret Russell replaced Adjetey Klufio as the dance coordinator and director.
“I feel … honored to have a bigger role at the college,” said Russell, who said she hopes to grow the Dance Company. “I’m excited to work with the dancers a little more closely and to learn all the ins and outs of the department.”
Russell worked as a professional ballet dancer for 10 years before coming to AACC to earn her associate degree. AACC hired her in 2019.
“[You] can’t match” professional experience when it comes to teaching dance, Russell said.
“You really start to understand what makes a healthy classroom and what works, what doesn’t work,” Russell said. “I think it’s important for teachers to continue to learn.”
Victoria Ofori, a third-year dance student, said Russell is “open-minded” and “honest.”
“I just love working with her,” Ofori said. “I just love organized people, and people who get straight to the point and have a plan set in stone. … Because in dance, you always have to be organized.”
Kiera Richardson, a second-year dance student, called Russell’s teaching style “strict but also encouraging” and said she is “an amazing person to learn from.”