1

Employers come to AACC to recruit students for internships

Courtesy of Trésa Ballard
The Sarbanes Center for Career and Civic Engagement gave employers the opportunity to recruit AACC students face to face.

Employers from across Anne Arundel County came to AACC on Thursday to recruit students for internships.

The Sarbanes Center for Career and Civic Engagement hosted the 2024 Internship Fair to give employers the chance to meet students face to face.

“Employers … are always looking for students,” Internship Program Coordinator Gwendolyn Johnson said.

This is the in-person first internship fair since the COVID pandemic began in 2020, according to Johnson. 

“[When] we offered fairs virtually, we would have employers attend and we [would] have no students,” Johnson said. “Employers are desperately wanting to reconnect with AACC students.”

According to Johnson, this is an important event because she can’t “simply give” students internship opportunities.

“What I do … is I help students, from a strategic perspective, plan for an internship … because securing an internship is very much like securing a job,” Johnson said. “This fair gives students the opportunity to not only learn of what possibilities are there, but to also network so they can learn which employers are looking [for students].”  

Johnson said she wanted to be a “connector” between the employer and the student.

“Students are not looking when an employer is looking,” Johnson said. “When an employer is looking, we may not have students that are ready. So this fair gives … the opportunity to … connect the two populations.”

Second-year transfer studies student Charlie Smith, one of the event organizers, agreed.

“I just think it’s so important to give college students the chance to get their foot in the door,” Smith said. “Getting on top of your career while you’re in college is so important.”

First-year dual-enrolled student Charlie Knach said the event is important for homeschooled students.

“As a homeschooler, [I] have found it hard to find different internships, especially in this area,” Knack said. “Events like this make it convenient for everyone to be able to [get internships].”

Second-year computer science student Connor Mclay agreed, saying the fair is “the perfect place” to get an internship. 

AACC alumna Ramsha Mahmood said she came to the event because AACC provided a “better opportunity” to meet employers face-to-face than her current school University of Maryland, Global Campus.

Mahmood said the event is important for immigrants because it can give them “direction.”

“I’m an immigrant and I didn’t know how the education system here work[ed],” Mahmood said. “These events are important because they give you a base to at least take your first step.”

Mahmood added, “They’re here to help you … students will be lost [without help], especially people who are new to this country.”

Jasmine Spencer-Walters, a second-year media production student, said the event was “really informative.”

“I don’t have much experience with internships within the school setting,” Spencer-Walters said. “The people are really open [to newcomers].”