1

Amaranth gives platform for students to share creative work

Zo%C3%AB+Sharp+performs+at+an+Amaranth+open+mic+night.+
Elizabeth Luoma
Zoë Sharp performs at an Amaranth open mic night.

Student poets recited work with emotions ranging from anger to vulnerability to romance at an open mic event on campus Thursday.

The student literary magazine, Amaranth, hosted the monthly event, which drew an audience of approximately 25 to listen to five poets read their work. After a brief intermission, the group performed karaoke.

“It’s very grounding to share yourself and, like, listen to other people,” Paige Corbe, a transfer studies student, said. “It’s nice to … cozy up to other humans like that.”

According to Amaranth Editor-in-Chief Sierra Luers, the purpose of the Coffeehouse Valentine’s Open Mic Night was “really just to bring the artistic community together, bring the writers together, bring the people who love art together and just, like, create like a nice space that they feel comfortable sharing and can just enjoy themselves.”

Some presenters said reading in front of a group helps bolster their confidence.

“It can definitely help with confidence,” English student Avia Gerstel said. “Just, like, getting up there and sharing your thoughts and your feelings and your emotions through poetry is a very powerful thing to do.”

Luers called the evening “a success.”

“Any time someone has the courage to go up there and share something, that’s a success,” Luers said.