1

Ceramics Club sells handmade pottery in holiday event

Dulcie Metro
Students, faculty, staff and community members buy handmade pottery at the Ceramics Club’s annual holiday sale on Monday.

Members of the Ceramics Club sold handcrafted mugs and plates to raise money for the club on Monday.
The proceeds from the sale also pay for supplies toward group activities, trips to museums and to pay professional artists to teach workshops for the club.
The annual holiday event is “a great experience for the students and the club members because they get to see the more entrepreneurial side of making pottery,” Sara Prigodich, associate professor of ceramics, said. “It’s something that all artists and all crafts people have to think about if they want to support themselves or if they want to make any money off of their work.”
Students, faculty and staff shopped from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. to purchase vases, bowls, statues and pitchers.
“I have taken ceramics classes at AACC and I loved them,” Sophie Reverdy, an AACC distance learning librarian who attended the event, said. “It was a good opportunity to come support the program … and I love seeing the work and the creativity of our ceramic students.”
Judas Razuri, first-year psychology major said the “different variety” of the pottery stood out.
“There’s a lot of really nicely, like, decorated plates and stuff,” Razuri said. “It’s just very aesthetic.”
Some attendees buy the items to give as presents.
“I think people really appreciate the handmade look and feel of ceramics,” Ceramics Club President Holly Mitchell, a third-year creative writing student, said. “They make really awesome gifts especially with the holiday season kind of ramping up. It’s kind of something you can give to anyone and most people would appreciate it.”