The award-winning newspaper of Anne Arundel Community College.

Ads
  • At Soapbox Sisters, one of the events for this year's Women's History Month, students will perform speeches and poems by women.
Club Ads
Recently on Instagram
Something is wrong.
Instagram token error.
1
Recently on Twitter

Poet and activist speaks at ‘Writer’s Reading’ event

Everett Luoma
E. Ethelbert Miller speaking at a ‘Writer’s Reading’ event on Tuesday.

A poet who wrote 150 poems about baseball spoke at a ‘Writer’s Reading’ event on Tuesday.

E. Ethelbert Miller, a poet and activist, discussed his political work and read pieces from his latest book “How I Found Love Behind the Catcher’s Mask.” Alongside writing, Miller is also on the board of the Institute for Policy Studies, a think tank in DC.

Miller said baseball inspired his writing because it reminded him of his childhood.

“Baseball takes me right back to the South Bronx to take me back to normal,” Miller said. “It takes me back to players. You know, I know exactly when Bill Mazeroski hit the home run in 1960, you know, exactly where I was.”

Haley Draper, a communications professor who attended the event, said Miller’s “communication is going to survive long past him. We may not even be able to measure the positive impact, not only on his own community, but on all communities getting to learn about his experience, especially in a tumultuous time of the ‘60s and ‘70s.”

Holly Mitchell, a third-year creative writing student, said “it was super fun to see such an accomplished writer talk about their work and what inspires them and how, especially like an older writer, because I’m so young. It’s fun to see how one’s life kind of affects the creative working process.”