1

Coming Out Week event shares resources for LGBTQ students

Tomi Brunton
Students learned about local resources for LGBTQ people at an event in the Student Union dining hall on Tuesday.

LGBTQ-friendly organizations gathered on campus to share resources with students in the Student Union dining hall on Tuesday.

Organizations like Trans Maryland, Coalition for LGBTQ+ Students, One Pasadena and more gathered in the dining hall for the Queer Community Wellness and Resource Advocacy Fair.

“The goals for the event were to show students that there is a giant network of community members, a giant network of people to [support] advocacy and wellness for LGBT people,” Forrest Caskey, an LGBTQ studies professor who organized the event, said. “Oftentimes, especially when you’re young, [you] sometimes feel kind of alone, and there might be a lot of negativity about who you are in the world. But there’s a ton of groups who are here to support you.”

The college will also host a panel where LGBTQ students share their coming out stories in Humanities 123 on Wednesday.

Dana Schallheim, a member of the District 5 Board of Education, gave out “resources compiled by Arundel County Public Schools that support the LGBTQ+ … student body” at the fair.

“So many people have come up and are interested in the resources I’m here to provide,” Schallheim said. “It’s been a really good event.”

Another vendor registered voters at the fair.

“What I’m doing is talking to students about the upcoming primary for 2024 and the general election in November 2024,” Chelsea Bock, AACC’s catalog editor who ran the voter registration table, said. “I’m basically trying to emphasize the importance of not only voting in general, but local elections.”

Xelest Coles, the president of AACC’s Genders and Sexualities Alliance, said the event showed a lot of support for LGBTQ students.

“There’s a lot more people out there who are there to help than people might think about,” Coles, a second year medical assisting student, said. “There’s more corners for the [LGBTQ] community than they know.”