1

MyAACC login prompts option for identity verification

Adobe Stock Photo
Students who change their MyAACC passwords need to set up a back-up way for the college to verify their identity with a phone number or email address.

AACC got a new login system last Friday that prompts students to set up a method of identity verification, like a phone number or email address, when they sign on to MyAACC or Outlook.

When students see the prompt, they can either download the Microsoft Authenticator app or submit their email or phone number. They can choose to skip the verification, but it will continue to show up every time they log in until they complete it.

Once students set up the verification, they will only need it when changing their password.

“This is just growing technology,” John Williams, the director of information security, said. “It’s just part of the lifestyle growth of information technology. There’s always changes and all these improvements, and hopefully all those improvements are more secure.”

Williams said the college is now using Microsoft Office to manage passwords, which caused the change.

“You might see some variations in the [sign-in pages of the] different services that you log into, like MyAACC,” Williams said. “We’re just letting people know that they may see some differences, but it’s the same information.”

First-year psychology student Taylor Gilroy said she is worried the changes will make navigating AACC’s website more difficult.

“Since I’m, like, brand new to the school, I’m already having trouble navigating and finding where things are,” Gilroy said.”But maybe it’ll be better. Maybe it’ll be worse. I don’t know.”

Second-year creative writing student Zoё Sharp agreed.

“I wish that they did these things before the school year starts because I start to get into a rhythm and then they change something and that’s a little confusing,” Sharp said. “But I’m interested to see.”

Williams said the college eventually could give students the option of using a second level of identity verification every time they log onto an AACC website.

“We’re looking to opt in with multi-factor authentication so that anytime you log in, that it will be verifying you,” Williams said. “So that, if someone’s using your account erroneously, they can’t because they don’t have the second-factor authentication.”

Two-factor authentication is already required for college employees.