On Your Feet improv show entertains AACC students and faculty

David Stemmle

Lauryn Damron (left) and professor Sean Urbantke help put together the performance.

Adrianna Gonzalez, Reporter

The Theatre at AACC club entertained students and faculty during On Your Feet, an improv show, Thursday at Kauffman Theater.

Attendees watched as the Mulletproof Improv troupe executed spontaneous performances, influenced by suggestions given by the audience.

Wyatt Unger, the director of the show, talked about how long it took to prepare for On Your Feet.

“It took about three months total [to prepare],” Unger said.

Unger noted the importance of improv, and the opportunities it gives to students.

“The fact that students have the opportunity to pursue something that is so creative and such a great way … to get into acting [is great],” Unger said.  “There’s so many things that improv gives you that are so beneficial for your life, that are so beneficial with you being confident, that are so beneficial if you want to be an actor or if you just want to be a good person.”

Actor Charlie Henry talked about how he got involved.

“I’ve been part of the troupe with Wyatt like forever,” Henry said. “We’ve always kind of had each other professionally as improvisers.”

Second-year theater student Lauryn Damron hosted and acted in the show.

“I was taking the play production class so I’m just part of the crew, and I just kept coming to rehearsals and I was like ‘I want to perform too’, and they were just like ‘Want to be host?’, and I was like ‘Yeah, I want to be host.’” Damron said.

First-year education student Kristina Edwards said she attended the show for her fine arts class.

“It was hilarious,” Edwards said. “It was so good. It’s a lot better than you’ll expect it to be.”

Unger noted how those interested could join.

“Go to Florestano 101 on Fridays between 7:30 p.m. and 10 p.m.,” Unger said. “They can … [also join] our Facebook group, Mulletproof.”

“You don’t have to be fast and you don’t have to be smart to do improv, Henry said. “You just have to be open and honest and vulnerable and you need to listen.”