Grads pitch in with auditions

Kyler Lawrence

AACC dance students say working with recent graduates to prep for auditions helps them succeed.

Kyler Lawrence, Reporter

Graduates from AACC’s performing arts program returned to campus this semester to help newcomers audition for the dance company.

The mentored students said the alumni dancers helped them gain confidence, believe in themselves and grow as dancers.

Dancers of all skill levels worked with the former students.
“It’s lifelong relationships that you create when you’re on Dance Company,” dance and transfer studies student Chioma Akwara said. “It’s really just a family thing. And we’re all about going hard or going home.”

Alumni dancers come back to campus regularly to judge and help with auditions, interim Dance Company Director Rachel Thomas said. “The alumni are always kind of incorporated.”

Thomas, an AACC alum, said when new students learn from graduates, it motivates them not only for the audition, but for their future careers as dancers.

Many of the dance students said the close-knit community of dancers at AACC is a draw for graduates to keep coming back to help.
“It’s always great to get a new perspective, especially one [from a dancer who] has been where you are,” dance student Abbey Smith said. “I love their advice about living as a dancer after college is over.”

The Dance Company will perform Dec. 6 to Dec. 8.