AACC exhibits student artwork

Bethany Probst

The student sculpture show, “Power of Three,” features artwork like the piece above by Sergio Alvarez.

Bethany Probst, Photography Co-Editor

AACC sculpture students showcased their recent creations during an annual art review in November in the Cade gallery.

“Power of Three,” an annual student sculpture show, allowed students, faculty and community members to view handmade artwork on Nov. 14.

Elaine Weiner-Reed, a first-year metal art fabrication student, said she was pleased with the turnout for the event. “It looks like people, not just the artists, came out tonight,” Reed said. “The gallery is stunning. … Hopefully people have wandered in and [the art] speaks to them.”

Reed presented a piece titled “Skipping a Beat,” resembling a steel guitar. She said she was inspired by a performance she saw of an improv musical group, whose compositions were spontaneous and emotional.

The “Power of Three” event is held once a year, showing work made throughout the semester by sculpture and metal art students on campus.

Richard Niewerth, founder of AACC’s art program, showed a steel piece titled “Rotation.” Niewerth said his work was inspired by abstract artist Hans Arp.

“It has this organic feel; there’s a lot of universal shapes in it,” Niewerth said. “The idea is to have [the pieces] seam into unrelated movement through their relationships.”

Niewerth, a professor emeritus, started AACC’s art program in 1970, and continues to take art courses at the college.

“I’m happy that we are able to showcase this talent,” professor Wilfredo Valladares, the art show’s curator, said. Valladares said he was thrilled with the outcome and variety of the artwork.

“We have a diversity of materials [in this show] and it’s very well represented,” Valladares said. “There is the whole idea that traditional sculpture is broken here. It shows how sculpture is interdisciplinary.”