The award-winning newspaper of Anne Arundel Community College.

Ads
  • At Soapbox Sisters, one of the events for this year's Women's History Month, students will perform speeches and poems by women.
Club Ads
Recently on Instagram
Something is wrong.
Instagram token error.
1
Recently on Twitter

Student literary mag releases 49th edition

Amaranth
Amaranth, AACC’s student journal for the arts, will release its 49th edition in May.

The 49th edition of AACC’s student-run journal of the arts, Amaranth, will be released on May 9.

This year, the editors chose 57 unique pieces from more than 200 submissions, according to Managing Editor Zoë Sharp.

“We’ve even accepted a musical composition piece, which is our first time doing that,” Sharp said. “We’ve got some really experimental pieces of poetry.”

“Each piece of work that is being published has value in it in that it explores communities’ diverse experiences,” Sierra Luers, the journal’s editor-in-chief, added.

Luers said the volume is the first to be released in a post-pandemic era for the club, as they are moving toward more in-person events and leaving behind virtual activities.

“I think this volume is special because this is the first time that we’ve had … visibility on campus since COVID,” Luers said. “We’ve been able to create a stronger environment and Amaranth community and culture through our coffeehouses.”

Amaranth hosts monthly coffeehouse open mic nights where students and alumni read their original works and drink coffee.

Amaranth will host a release party in the Student Union from 6 to 8 p.m. the same day as the journal release.

“I encourage everyone to come to the release party even if they don’t have anything in [this edition],” Sharp said. “Come pick up a free copy of the journal.”