1

Dance Company holds spring auditions

Brianna Bell
The AACC Dance Company will hold its spring auditions on Jan 30. Shown, the company’s fall performance.

The AACC Dance Company will hold auditions on Jan. 30 for its spring performance.

The audition will consist of ballet barre work, contemporary dance and improvisation, according to company Director Margaret Russell.

“We focus on technique,” Russell said. “We focus on their ability to pick up combinations and choreography. … Our main focus is, you know, just seeing their passion and their movement quality.”

Russell said most students interested in auditioning should have dance experience, but it isn’t required.

“It’s a large commitment [and] we’re asking a lot from the dancers,” Russell said. “So having that dance experience really does help. The learning process will go much faster, like learning choreography.”

Russell added, “If I believe a dancer has potential and is going to work hard and I think they’ll be easy to work with and work well with their peers … with some dance background, there’s a solid chance that [they] will get into the company.”

On top of their own spring production, the Dance Company will also perform in the AACC Symphony Orchestra’s show this semester.

“We’re going to be doing one piece … in their show as well,” Russell said. “It’s really nice when the performing arts programs can come together.