1

Taylor Swift-themed class to run this fall

Shutterstock photo
Are you ready for it? A new communications class that focuses on Grammy award-winning artist Taylor Swift will run this fall.

Taylor Swift is coming to the classroom: A communications professor will teach a course this fall focused on media coverage of the Grammy award-winning artist.

Communications and Journalism Department academic chair Jessica Mattingly will teach the three-credit elective course, titled Current Events in a Global Context (Taylor’s Version), with a focus on news and media literacy.

“We’re going to be really exploring … all the different ways that she has become this global phenomenon,” Mattingly, a fan of Swift, said. “We’ll be looking at, kind of, her whole career from early [on] to the Eras Tour.”

AACC isn’t the first to run a Swift-themed class: Harvard, Berkeley, New York University and more all offer similar courses.

“I think the students will become really savvy news users and … will be more media literate after it,” Mattingly said of the course, Communications 130. “I think it’ll be a really fun, interesting class.”

In the course, students will do a variety of media literacy assignments, according to Mattingly, including a “news story investigation.”

“In that, students pick an event that’s been portrayed in the news and … explore how that’s been delivered in different types of media content,” Mattingly said. “So they’ll look at the publication source, the author, their credentials, and then also the content of what they have to say.”

Mattingly added, “Since [Swift] has so much news, publication and media surrounding her, I see the students have tons of choices.”

The class will also have some “fun inclusions,” Mattingly said, like watching part of the Eras Tour film or making playlists.

“We’re going to infuse some of the fun parts of it before we get into, like, the critical news reviewing of the class,” Mattingly said.

If the course is a success, Mattingly hopes to offer it again in the spring.

The 15-week class will run Tuesdays and Thursdays from 12:30-1:45.