1

Students read stories, shared poems about women at an event

Levi Kenny
Students from many diverse backgrounds read stories about women at this event.

Students performed original and classic works of poetry at an event on Tuesday.

The Communications and Journalism department hosted Soap Box Sisters, a Women’s History Month event, to share the stories of women throughout history and to give female students a chance to express their voice.

“It was a really cool experience, especially to get to hear other women’s experiences,” Elizabeth Marcinkiewicz, a first-year radiology student, said. 

Soap Box Sisters is an annual event where students, such as second-year business management student Sarah Green, can share personal stories about their experiences as women and of women who have impacted their lives.

“I write a lot of poems and I wanted to write one for … my stepmom. … She’s sacrificed a lot in her life,” Green, a speaker at the event, said. “[She’s] the strongest woman I know. She’s independent, she has her own business and she also works full time at a … Air Force Media Group. She’s literally a boss, so I wanted to honor her.”

Mariah Alexander, a second-year transfer studies student and speaker at the event, said she read the poem “Still I Rise” by Maya Angelou because it had a meaningful message that “a lot of people needed to hear.”

According to Alexander, she was nervous to read the poem but the consistency and short length of “Still I Rise” made it easier to read to an audience. 

Marcinkiewicz, a speaker at the event, said she wrote about body hair as a topic for her poem because of a comment someone made in the past.

“It’s definitely something that’s always come up for me throughout my life … especially being, like, latina and having more, like, darker hair,” Marcinkiewicz said.