1

AACC volunteers do free tax preparation

Carmen Scannell
AACC volunteers offer to file taxes free of charge for anyone who earns less than $64,000 a year.

Volunteers will be available on campus until April 3 to do taxes for free for students, faculty and community members who make less than $64,000 a year.
The student and faculty volunteers participate in a federal program called VITA, or Volunteer Income Tax Assistance.
“This is my third year coming here to do my taxes,” Daniel Crocamo, a manager at T.J. Maxx, said. “I love coming here because the atmosphere is great. And they know what they’re doing, and they have never had an error with me. They’re just amazing here.”
Appointments are available on Wednesdays from 3:30-6:30 p.m. and Saturdays from 10 a.m.-noon.
Oksana Fisher, AACC’s coordinator of the VITA program, said she encourages students to volunteer.
“I would like to encourage students just to try it, you know, and see if it’s for you,” Fisher, a professor of business administration, said. “It’s just like we have this sense of belonging to even, like, our small group and to their entire college. I think it’s a good program to be a part of.”
Michael Gavin, the program’s former coordinator, encouraged all members of the community to take advantage of the free tax preparation.
“You don’t have to be a student to get your taxes done here,” Gavin, an accounting and finance professor, said. “We get some people, you know, they’re just in the general vicinity. They hear about it, they come in, they get it done, they like what they have, and they’re back every year. You want to know something? Free is a good price.”
“It’s such a friendly environment,” Crocamo said. “They’re very professional, they know what they’re doing. And also, like I said, the accuracy is incredible. … It’s free, and it’s a phenomenal experience.”