1

Students celebrate healthy relationships at Valentine’s Day event

Courtesy of the Office of Student Engagement & the Health and Wellness Center
The Wellness Center encouraged students to practice safe decisions for Valentine’s Day.

Students gathered in the dining hall to celebrate healthy relationships, make flower bouquets and drink mocktails for Valentine’s Day on Wednesday.

The Wellness Center and Office of Student Engagement collaborated to encourage students to make safe decisions for Valentine’s Day, and hand out free produce.

Katie Keys, the project director for sexual violence, said she hopes students are celebrating safely.

“I would say for anyone who is choosing to … go out to a bar, I would say make sure you do so responsibly, and have a plan,” Keys said. “If you’re choosing to drink, make sure you don’t drive. Always have someone that you can rely on to get you home, and when it comes to sexual activity, make sure you have some protection. And always put consent in the forefront.”

The event featured roses available for students to make bouquets, goodie bags that contained condoms and produce market safe recipes.

The produce market, which is open once a month, was also available for students.

“I think it’s really great for anybody who, maybe you don’t have time to run out to the store or you don’t have enough money to grab some fresh produce.” third-year nursing student Juliana Meyer, said. “And also, you know, being safe and showing your loved ones that you really care.”

Students can get more information on healthy relationships in the Wellness Center, or the virtual Health and Wellness center on Canvas.