1

Legal marijuana ups related class’s roster

Megan Cunningham
Enrollment in professor Shad Ewart’s Entrepreneurial and Career Opportunities in the Cannabis Industry class has grown by one-third since Maryland legalized recreational cannabis and the college waived the prerequisite course.

The legalization of recreational cannabis over the summer led to increased interest in the AACC business course titled Entrepreneurial and Career Opportunities in the Cannabis Industry.
Fall enrollment in BPA 195 increased to 15 students from an average of 10 in prior semesters, professor Shad Ewart said.
At the same time, the college eliminated the course’s prerequisite and converted it from a 200 level to a 100 level, giving “students more freedom to take the course,” Ewart said.
“The students that take the class seem to want a job in the industry or [to] start a business in the industry,” Ewart said.
The online class educates students about the cannabis industry.
Ewart said the course encourages students to explore nonprofit, dispensary and plant science jobs.
For example, Ewart said, AACC alumni and military veteran Eryck Stamper “has used cannabis as a way to help vets.” Stamper is the founder of the nonprofit Veterans Initiative 22, which promotes suicide prevention awareness and advocates for rights and access to affordable cannabis.
According to the Maryland Department of Legislative Services, the amount of marijuana farmland rose from 915,000 square feet to 1.7 million square feet since 2018. Increased farm area led to increased job demand.
Ewart said the cannabis business course prepares students for future jobs in that industry.
“Jobs are expanding,” Ewart said, putting students who take the course “in a great position” because they will be able to show potential employers that they took a three-credit class to prepare them to work in the industry.
“I help people get jobs … realize their dreams,” Ewart said. “[The industry] need[s] entrepreneurs; I help build entrepreneurs.”
Some of Ewart’s former students started their own companies after taking the course.
For example, Laura Toskov, who took the class in 2015, opened Green Point Dispensary in Linthicum Heights in 2018 and has since expanded into Laurel and Millersville with additional shops.
JT Schiavone, a second-year transfer studies student, said having a credit course in the field “is important. It gives students a chance to learn how to profit in this industry.”
“Almost 50 of my students have been employed in the industry,” Ewart said.

View Comments (1)