1

Suicide prevention week brings awareness to mental health on campus

Adobe Stock Photo
AACC offers mental health resources for students struggling

Warning: This article contains mentions of suicide 

If you’ve ever struggled with your mental health you’re not alone. In fact, you can call 988 or reach out to AACC’s counseling services.

Suicide prevention week is from September 10 to September 16. AACC offers a variety of mental health resources including personal counseling and a suicide prevention training program, known as QPR.

Melissa Boling, a member of AACC’s counseling services, said the program is available to faculty and staff but they also work inside the classroom.

“It teaches people to identify the warning signs and know how to ask the right questions, and then how to get that individual that may be at risk to get connected with help,” Boling said. 

Boling added that these specific warning signs people should look out for if they’re concerned someone is struggling with their mental health are major changes in behavior. Boling said being direct and asking questions “lets them know that you’re concerned about them and kind of opens up the line of communication.” 

Mikayla French, a second-year theater student said “putting signs around with who you should contact to access the mental health resources” would help bring more awareness to students.

Daevon Lionel, a second-year biology and kinesiology major said it’s important AACC brings awareness to mental health issues. 

“We should probably, like, bring it more to an edge,” Lionel said. “As time goes on our mental health will only get worse. If we focus on it, it will impact our lives later down the road.” 

988 is the suicide hotline number which you can call at any time if you’re struggling with your mental health.

AACC’s counseling services can be contacted at counseling@aacc.edu or by checking their tab with additional information on AACC’s website.