1

Students create vision boards during campus event

Dulcie Metro
Students who attended a campus event on Tuesday decorated vision boards, like the one shown, with inspiring photos and sayings.

About two dozen students took a break from studies on Tuesday to create artwork that represents their vision for their futures.

Some students wrote their goals on worksheets while others created vision boards, which are posters containing positive words, stickers and magazine cutouts.

“I came here to be inspired and to meet new people and just make a vision board to kind of get my thoughts down on paper,” Kayley Walsh, a first-year psychology student, said.

“To kind of just take time for myself away from my studies and my work to come and do something fun with other people.”

Laura Wilson, who organized the event in Careers, said the purpose of the activity was to help students “organize their goals for the semester.” 

“I like to do things visually,” Wilson said. “It’s easier for me to see my plan instead of having it in my own head. I thought that might also be helpful for … students.”

Third-year business student Mya Williams said she likes vision boards but hasn’t had the time to make one before.

“I always wanted to do vision boards,” Williams said. “I just never had the time so it seemed like the perfect way to do something I’ve always wanted to do.”

Williams decorated her vision board with positive words and rainbow stickers.

Second-year English student Chloe Ark, on the other hand, covered her board with pictures of books and artwork.

“For life goals I only have a few,” Ark said. “I wish to publish a book one day so I put that [on one side of the board]. I like art, so I just kind of put this [on the other side].”

Ark added: “It’s … a big reminder if you put it on your wall. You can catch your eye on it.”

Wilson said this is the first of several feel-good events the Office of Student Engagement will host this semester. The next one will be a Halloween-themed activity in October.

View Comments (1)