Literary journal puts out 48th annual issue

Megan Cunningham

AACC’s journal for the arts, Amaranth, features student works from creative writing to photography. Shown, last year’s 47th edition.

The 48th edition of AACC’s student literary journal will come out on May 18.
Students can pick up a copy of Amaranth, the journal of literature and arts, on Campus Current newsracks in the Humanities building.
Editor-in-Chief Marquart Doty said the new issue includes “poems, plays, photography … different kinds of visual art, from digital to painting to architectural designs. … And it’s also just worth reading, because the work of students here is really, really good.”
One illustration, called “Just a Little Guy,” features colorful characters that the layout repeats throughout the journal.
“I think that it’s a lot [of] fun,” said first-year human services student Zoe Sharp, who worked on the journal.
Doty said submissions to the journal, which were selected by a jury of Amaranth members, led to a nature-focused theme.
“We’ve had a lot of bug- and nature-themed submissions,” said Doty, who noted that editors received 85 submissions, compared with 35 last spring.
Members of Amaranth said they are “excited” for people to see how creative the student submissions are.
“We’ve had so many submissions from so many different people and … we have a really good representation of AACC students,” Amaranth Managing Editor Patrick Caswell, a second-year transfer studies student, said. “We have been able to select really high-quality pieces.”
Amaranth staff will host a release party and hand out journals on May 18 at 7 p.m. in Humanities 125.