Student artists present sculptures in annual gallery

Tomi Brunton

The student Sculpture Club hosted its annual gallery on Thursday. Shown from left to right, “Obsidian Tears,” “Riverhawk” and “Come As You Are Sitting Pretty.”

Tomi Brunton, Reporter

Members of the student Sculpture Club presented their artwork from the fall semester in a gallery reception on Thursday.

The exhibit, titled “The Power of Three,” featured 21 pieces created by AACC students in the Student Union building’s Pascal Art Gallery. The exhibit opened on Nov. 11 and will close on Friday.

“I think it’s a spectacular show,” Wilfredo Valladares, a professor of sculpture and the faculty adviser for the Sculpture Club, said. “I think that, you know, you can see all the different mediums here. … We have students exploring alternate materials, but not only materials, but metaphors, that are sort of conducive to very strong concepts.”

Valladares organizes the event every year for the Sculpture Club, but all AACC students are welcome to submit sculptures for consideration.

Karen McGady, a non-degree-seeking student who has taken classes at AACC for 15 years, had two pieces of art in the gallery.

“It [sculpture] is a ton of fun,” McGady, who earned her associate degree in architecture from AACC, said. “It’s a good way to say something without actually having to, you know, say words, which is good for introverts like me. … I think that good art isn’t necessarily pretty. Nor should it be, but one of the missions of good artists is to engender thought or an emotional response.”

Richard Starr, a sixth-year sculpture student with three pieces of art in the gallery, said he did a lot of “different themes” with his sculptures.

“I tried to make each one a little different,” Starr said. “You can have a tendency to make everything the same.”

First-year therapy student Jessie-Lyn Chafin said it was “really cool” to see the artwork.

“Oh my gosh, yes, I’m going to be drawing some stuff inspired from it,” Chafin, who enjoys drawing and animation, said. “I want to get home and animate now.”

Georgia Rounds, an English and art student who has taken classes at AACC for 10 years, said the materials she used were an important part of her process.

“I try really to use what’s at hand,” Rounds, who contributed a piece of art to the gallery, said. “So either found objects or items that I find in the studio, or I use a lot of clay. I would say basically, my process is to see what’s available and then go from there.”

Valladares, who is the chair of the Visual Arts Department, said this year’s gallery was “one of the best galleries that we’ve had.”