Dance Company to perform ‘Retrospect’ this weekend

Sam Gauntt

The Dance Company will put on its fall show this weekend in the Kauffman Theater.

Tomi Brunton, Reporter

The AACC Dance Company will present a modern dance performance, titled “Retrospect,” at the start of December.

AACC graduate and Dance Company artistic director Adjetey Klufio will direct the show, which will run on Dec. 2 and Dec. 3 and feature returning alumni.

“The theme [of the performance] is about bringing back memories to look into the future,” Klufio, the company’s artistic director, said. “Before you can move on in life, you always have to remember where you came from.”

On top of directing and teaching classes, Klufio also choreographed several of the show’s dance sequences. Dance Company students and alumni, along with guest choreographers including former coordinator for performing arts-dance Lynda Fitzgerald, assisted with the arrangements.

First-year dance student Phoebe Hassell said her experience with the Dance Company was “awesome.”

“I am really excited” about the show, Hassell said. “I’m a little bit nervous, because, you know, we have a lot of dances and it’s quick, but I’m really excited to perform with all my friends.”

Emily Crandell, who graduated in spring 2022 with a degree in dance, returned to AACC for this performance.

“My experience here [at AACC] was phenomenal,” Crandell said. “All the classes I took, all the professors I had, [they all] helped me in some way. … I feel really confident now in my dancing… and I’m just really excited to have an audience to perform for.”

Klufio said creating the choreography was “overwhelming” but it was “all collaborative work.”

“I was able to work with my dancers,” Klufio said. “[I] always give my dancers the freedom to … contribute to the process.”

“Retrospect” will show in the Kauffman Theater at 8 p.m. both nights. Tickets cost $5 for AACC students, $10 for faculty and staff, and $15 for the public.