Artist hosts solo exhibition in Cade Gallery

Cade+Gallery

Sam Gauntt

Artist Marta Pérez-García hosts a reception for her exhibition titled “Rotura-Rupture” in the Cade Gallery.

Sam Gauntt, Associate Editor

The Cade Gallery on West Campus hosted a reception last week for a local artist displaying large prints and paper sculptures meant to raise awareness of domestic violence victims. 

Marta Pérez-García, who collaborated with AACC printmaking students to create one of the prints in the exhibit, will display her work in the gallery through Nov. 10.

“I’m super grateful to take this space,” Pérez-García said. “It’s really wonderful. … Most of my work is about gender violence. … And the collaboration here was just beautiful. I mean, everybody took their part. And for me that we could unveil the names of all these women that were killed in the pandemic in Puerto Rico, is just really, really moving.”

Teddy Johnson, director of the Cade Gallery, said working with Pérez-García was “inspiring.”

“I think that it’s important for the gallery to be in conversation with the community,” Johnson, an associate professor of visual arts, said. “And so when there’s, you know, issues like this … I think it worked out well to be able to have that here.”

Lousie Wallendorf, a part-time student and president of the Printmaking Club, said Pérez-García’s exhibit is “extremely powerful.”

“And her way of printing in color is very unique,” Wallendorf said. “She’s been doing it since she was 18–that style of printmaking. So that was pretty impressive. And the … paper sculptures are just, you know, they’re really neat, and they’re very powerful.”

Wallendorf said the message of her pieces raises awareness of domestic violence.

“It’s confrontational the way that makes you look at it and think, but not in a way that offends you,” Wallendorf said. “And that’s a hard thing to do as an artist sometimes.”

Pérez-García said it is important to her that her work gets people to make change and help with issues like domestic violence. 

“I think the change comes with the community,” Pérez-García said. “We have to be part of the change, and we cannot be part of the change sitting on our sofa and watching TV or looking at our phone. We need to be out [and] we need to scream very loud at things that are not right.”