Punk-grunge makes comeback at college

Frank Fitzgeralde Libom

Students who wear punk and grunge styles take inspiration from ’90s bands like Nirvana. Shown, firstyear fine arts student Jenna Lagoey.

Zack Buster, Associate Editor

The punk-grunge clothing style is making a comeback on the Arnold campus, proving punk is not dead.

Punk-grunge mixes the dark colors and torn clothes of ’80s punk rock bands and the old, repurposed flannels of ’90s grunge musicians. The style features layers, metal spikes and studs, olive drab military jackets and customized thrift store clothing.

“A big part of grunge fashion is customization,” Jenna Lagoey, a first-year fine arts student said. “These pants are old. So I cut them again, I made them fit and I added all these details on them. And I like them a lot more now.”

Lagoey said punk style clothes are “a lot of that kind of second-hand stuff, you know. It’s really getting the most out of things, things are kind of beaten up a little bit.”

With the revival of ’80s and ’90s punk and grunge music, the fringe styles that those bands inspired also returned.

“You definitely see a lot of the bigger trends are kind of influenced by Nirvana, kind of Kurt Cobain style,” Lagoey said.

Second-year electrical engineering student Ash Abell, agreed. 

“People who like certain styles of music also might tend to like certain styles of visual aesthetic,” Abell said.

Second-year graphic design student Sean Fallowfield said the style isn’t just about music or even fashion.

“I don’t even necessarily think that has to do with fashion as much I would say as people are … just fed up with pop culture in general.”

First-year astronomy and physics student Zoe Brunton agreed.

“I mean, [it’s] kind of like wanting to stand out a little bit,” Brunton said. “I don’t think anybody really … dresses like a little punk without wanting to stand out [and] not just kind of like going with like [the] standard.” 

Fallowfield agreed.

“I would say it’s just a lot more unique,” Fallowfield said. “And it’s a lot more organic than with a lot of other types of styles because with a lot of other styles it’s usually so cut and dry. Like, everything’s just sort of different versions of the same thing.”

Fallowfield said some who adopt the punk style are “just fed up with pop culture in general. I don’t even necessarily think that has to do [only ]with fashion.”

However, he said the revolt against the norm is not just a pointless rebellion. 

“I don’t really view it as … rebelling against stuff just for the sake of rebelling against it,” Fallowfield said. “Like, it has to be purposeful.”

First-year transfer studies student Jamie Gant said the style represents her well.

“People are able to express themselves better,” Gant said. “Personally, for me. I just like this because I think it’s just comfortable. It’s easy for me. I have a lot of pieces that could just go on.”

Abell agreed.

“I would have to say part of it is definitely the ease of it, where there’s not a whole lot of thought that has to go into actually achieving the aesthetic,” Abell said. “I think a lot of people dress differently nowadays.”