Where Are They Now?

Jaso Bolay, Reporter

Former Student: Kimberly D’Gama

Meet 20-year-old Kimberly D’Gama, a former student of AACC.

Q: Where are you originally from?
A: I was born in India and raised there until I was 7-years-old. From 7 to about 19, I was in the U.K. and then I moved to the U.S. from 19 to 20 and that’s when I was at AACC.

Q: Where are you studying now?
A: I’m going to Richmond the American International University in London. There are two campuses. There’s one in South Kensington and one in Richmond. The one in Richmond is in Central London and it is really beautiful. Q: What are you majoring in? A: International Business. It was the broadest one them all. I am a very indecisive person so instead of picking one, I just picked all of them.

Q: What does International Business encompass?
A: Advertising, marketing, economics, finance, and accounting.

Q: Why did you choose that as your major?
A: Making lots of money and buying a 1969 Camaro SS, which is what future Kimberly is going to drive. It’s actually a part of my screensaver.

Q: Where are you working right now? A: I’m a teller at M&M World London. It’s like Disney World for expensive chocolate. Q: What is the main difference between London and Maryland?
A: I can drink here legally. I can get the bus. I don’t have to wait for people to drive me around.

Q: What was it like going back home to London after being in America?
A: Having moved a few times in my life, I kind of adapted easily. I just made myself a plan and got to it.

Q: What do you miss about Maryland?
A: Downtown Annapolis. And seeing all of the Navy guys in their uniforms.

Q: Your boyfriend is in the Navy, right?
A: Yes. He’s currently on deployment. He’s an Officer Ensign first branch Officer of the Navy.

Q: Is that hard, being in a long distance relationship?
A: When he’s on deployment, I only get an email every few days letting me know that he’s okay. I just miss our goofy conversations sometimes.

Q: What is the biggest difference between AACC and your current university?
A: It’s credited by the U.S. Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools as well as the U.K. Open University. I can get my degree from both the countries, essentially. It’s a whole lot stricter here because of that. With my finals, I can’t miss them unless I’m dying, essentially.

Q: How did AACC change you or help you?
A: It motivated me to work a bit harder because I never really worked harder in the U.K. When I got myfirst A, I was like, ‘Ooh. An A!’ In the U.K. we don’t really have that.

Q: Did any one professor motivate you in your time here with us at AACC?
A: My professor from AACC wrote me a really smashing letter of recommendation that actually helped me get into the university that I’m at now. It just shows how much the professors care at AACC. His name was Professor Terrill Gilleland. I had him for Consumer Economics and Personal Finance. I highly recommend him.

Q: Will you ever come back to Maryland?
A: I’m planning on coming back for the holiday in December. I haven’t gotten my ticket yet. But I think I’ll be coming for a little bit.