Health Sciences to hold labs and classes on campus starting June 1

Jake Brannon

Classes and labs from the School of Health Sciences will be held on campus starting June 1.

Christian Richey, Editor-in-Chief

The School of Health Sciences will hold classes and labs on campus with social distancing requirements starting June 1.

President Dawn Lindsay announced Wednesday limited Health Sciences and Police Academy classes would take place in person this summer.

Dan Baum, executive director of Strategic Communications, said the college will hold Health Sciences classes on campus because of accreditation requirements for the program.

Baum said the college’s goal is “meeting the ongoing student and employee needs, which is really going to be about providing or creating those learning experiences online and [in] selected, phased-in, face-to-face instruction that maintains our excellence.”

Baum said college officials have not decided whether it will hold in-person classes during the fall semester. Most classes that begin on Aug. 29 will be online only for the full semester. Administrators have not decided whether to offer eight-week classes that begin in October online or on campus.

Student Government Association President-elect Ryan Kim said outside of labs and studio classes, campus should remain closed for the fall semester.

“I think [the] fall semester should be online for the safety of students and staff,” Kim, a first-year environmental science student, said. “I’m a bit worried about other clubs not being able to do much and not being able to recruit any members, but hopefully they’ll be able to adjust and do online events.”

Baum said the college appreciates students’ patience through the pandemic.

“Our goal is to make sure everybody is able to stay healthy while meeting their ultimate objectives,” Baum said.