Students celebrate holidays at Winter Wonderland

Back to Article
Back to Article

Students celebrate the holiday's at an event with craft stations, hot cocoa, gingerbread house building and more.

Jacob Dear

Jacob Dear

Jacob Dear

Jacob Dear, Reporter

Students commemorated the winter holidays during AACC’s first Winter Wonderland this Wednesday in the SUN Dining Hall.

The Campus Activities Board and the Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society hosted the event to help establish a sense of holiday cheer before the semester ended.

“It’s basically like a Santa’s Workshop thing [with] different crafts,” CAB President Adrianna Russell, a second-year earth science student, said. “We call it Winter Wonderland because we didn’t want to do one holiday exactly. We wanted to do something that involved Christmas but also involved other holidays in December.”

CAB member Will Kuethe, a fifth-year music student, said a stand handed out coloring pages with information about the other holidays.

“We [also] have gingerbread houses; we have Mason jar snow globes; we have little stations where you can make ornaments and crafts, [and] we have cookies and chocolates,” Kuethe said.

Phi Theta Kappa President Bri Barone, a third-year elementary education and communications student, said that her club makes paper snowflakes every year, and decided to join in the event this year.

“This year we wanted to do a craft that gets people in a positive mood for the holiday season, so we did snowflakes to celebrate things they were proud of this semester,” Barone said.

Physical therapy students offered free massages in a curtained-off section of the dining hall to help students relax in preparation for finals.

“It’s really nice, this is the busiest I’ve ever seen the cafeteria area,” first-year visual arts student Kayla Simon said. “There’s a lot of people, a lot of stuff going on, it’s nice. … Get active and involved in these types [of] events because it’s fun for everybody.”