Changes made to AACC biannual survey

Amber Nathan

Political science professor Dan Nataf leads AACC’s biannual survey.

Amber Nathan, Editor-in-Chief

The campus group that conducts a biannual survey of Anne Arundel County residents will no longer be called the Center for the Study of Local Issues.

In addition, for the first time this year, that survey was automated.

Traditionally, students have recorded answers by hand before entering them into a data analysis program.

This semester, however, political science professor Dan Nataf automated the process using software called SurveyMonkey, so residents could complete the survey online.

“It worked pretty well,” said Nataf, who has overseen the survey for approximately 25 years.

Nataf conducts the survey of county residents’ top concerns every spring and fall.

AACC students also take the survey.

“We’re the only community college doing this, and there are very few four-year schools that do this,” according to Cathleen Doyle, director of the Sarbanes Center for Public and Community Service. “To have that opportunity here at AACC is amazing.”

She said the survey will include students and faculty from outside of the History, Political Science and Philosophy Department next year.

First-year psychology student Rita Veno said she supports the expanded process.

“You’re getting … a better input when you get people from different backgrounds and people with different points of view,” she said. “You get to see a … bigger picture with that.”

Third-year political science student Stryker Parlett said he enjoyed working on the survey.