Gay-Straight Alliance hosts panel

Members+of+the+Gay-Straight+Alliance+share+their+coming+out+stories+in+a+panel+discussion.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Gay-Straight Alliance hosts panel

Members of the Gay-Straight Alliance share their coming out stories in a panel discussion.

Kenzie Airey

Kenzie Airey

Kenzie Airey

Amber Nathan, Editor-in-Chief

Members of AACC’s Gay-Straight Alliance shared their stories about coming out and answered audience questions in a panel on October 8.

Students opened up about conflicts between hostile family members and the struggles and joys of coming out.

“I was definitely near crying toward the end of the event,” Fanta Nickerson, a third-year secondary English education student and member of the GSA, said.

Erica Romero, president of the GSA, said her favorite part about the panel was getting asked questions and being able to answer them, because she doesn’t have the opportunity often.

“A lot of people are unfamiliar with the terms in the LGBTQ community,” Romero said. “So it was just … an educational experience for some people.”

“I think it’s a common misconception that we don’t like straight people and we don’t want them in the community,” Romero added. “But … allies are really important and I wish that more straight people … came to our events.”