Activist speaks to AACC about MLK

Ralikh+Hayes+explains+how+current+movements+have+evolved+since+the+time+of+MLK.+

Christian Richey

Ralikh Hayes explains how current movements have evolved since the time of MLK.

Christian Richey, Associate Editor

An activist explained how the message of Martin Luther King Jr. translates to our current day in a lecture held on campus Monday.

Ralikh Hayes, an activist and co-founder of Black Leaders Organizing for Change, said movements have evolved since the time of King.

“I talked about Dr. King and his connection to the current movement … about how a lot of the morals that Dr. King lived by in his organizing work still shows up in today’s movement,” Hayes said. “[Also of] how we evolved and learned from some of the things we wish we could have [done] better during the civil rights movement. Such as not having just one male leader. This is a leaderful movement, full of people who can lead and do work all around this country.”

Hayes said movements today are more well-known and accessible.

“There are more people aware of what’s going on now than there’s ever been, even though it only takes really a small part of the population to be active to actively affect change,” Hayes said.

Andrew Mumford, a first-year computer science student who attended the event, said he felt moved to action by the lecture.

“He really knows what he’s talking about. I agree with him on pretty much everything that he said and I really would like to get more involved after hearing [him],” Mumford said.