AACC gets new ceramics chair

Amber Nathan

Sara Prigodich started her position as ceramics chair on Aug. 16.

Amber Nathan, Editor-in-Chief

AACC’s new ceramics chair started her job on August 16, taking the place of an award-winning professor.

Rick Malmgren, who won the Christine Storck Leadership Legacy Award for his commitment to student engagement, retired in June. This left his position open for Sara Prigodich, who has been working in ceramics for 12 years.

“I was very sad to hear that Rick was retiring,” Sarah Noble, a second-year communications student, said. “But I think he deserves it very much … I think people who work really hard for most of their life deserve a nice retirement.”

Prigodich said she wanted the job because she loves teaching.

“This is a full-time teaching position with the school in the ceramics program,” Prigodich said. “I also think it’s a great opportunity to be … managing the studio and overseeing the studio and the students.”

Prigodich’s responsibilities will be to oversee and promote the ceramics program and work with adjunct instructors. She will also oversee the Ceramics-Keramos Society, a student club.

Prigodich said she looks forward to meeting and working with students this semester, but that her biggest challenge will be to “find my feet.” She said Malmgren had a “really great flow and a system,” and she will need to find and understand that flow.

“She’s a great educator, she’s a great artist, and I think she’s going to be a great chair as well,” Matt Moore, chair of the Visual Arts Department, said.