Health Services Fair held to teach tips and techniques for wellness

Catherine Wood

AACC Public Safety Officer Nathan Bruno taught people a crash course on CPR using the song “Staying Alive.”

Catherine Wood, Reporter

Students learned the importance of health, wellness and disease prevention at the Health and Wellness Center’s annual Health Services Fair on April 10.

The fair featured a variety of interactive booths that allowed students to have a hands-on learning experience about topics ranging from first aid to nutrition.

One of the booths featured a crash course on hands-only CPR with AACC Public Safety Officer Nathan Bruno. Used the song “Staying Alive” by Bee Gees to demonstrate to students what it feels like to administer a 100- to 120-beats-per-minute compression during CPR.

“CPR is very important for a first response” for saving someone’s life or at least buying time for paramedic intervention, Bruno said.

Other booths lined the walls of the SUN Building, offering information on topics such as safe sex, STD prevention and healthy eating.

Kristin Houy, a third-year nursing student, said she came to the fair for more information about diet awareness.

Houy said she enjoyed the fair because “you don’t feel like you are forced to learn. … It was fun to learn.”

David Hicks, a third-year cyber security student, agreed.

“It gets the public a little bit more involved and informs them better,” Hicks said.

Beth Mays and Stephanie Jenkins, nurses at the campus Health and Wellness Center, oversaw the event.

Jenkins said the goal of the event was to “provide a lot of education for students, faculty and alumni.”

Mays added the fair also “provides them with a lot of health skills that will help them throughout life.”

The fair included free lessons in tourniquet application, diet balancing, and survival kit creation. Students could pick up free items such as condoms, candy, flashlights, tote bags and stress balls at some of the interactive booths.