AACC members encouraged to speak at town hall meetings

Alexandra Radovic, Editor-In-Chief

In hopes of getting county funding for the college in 2019, AACC students can attend town hall meetings this semester to tell officials how the college has benefited them.

In past years, the county has held only two town hall meetings, but this year it will hold seven to account for each district, during which any faculty, staff or students are free to attend and speak on the college’s behalf.

These changes have come in-part because Anne Arundel County elected a new County Executive, Steuart Pittman, in November.

“In the past, we haven’t encouraged faculty, staff and students to attend,” Vice President for Learning Resources Management Melissa Beardmore, said. “But this year, since the county executive and most of the council are new, we felt like it would be important that the college’s story is heard.”

Beardmore said the county supports 41 percent of AACC’s total proposed operating budget for 2020. “While we’re a small portion of their budget, they make up a huge portion of our budget,” Beardmore added.

Students and faculty do not need to inform anyone as to which meeting they plan on attending. Upon arrival, anyone who wishes to speak can sign up and the county officials will give them three minutes to talk about how AACC has positively impacted their lives.