Update: Police name suspect in Arundel Mills shooting

Courtesy of Anne Arundel Police

Anne Arundel County Police release a photo of the teenage suspect in Saturday’s mall shooting.

Alex Fregger, Reporter

Police on Sunday identified a 16 year old from Severn as the suspect in Saturday’s shooting at Arundel Mills Mall.

The suspect, Jamari Marquese Hammond, shot an adult man in the chest during an argument just before 8 p.m. near a mall entrance next to Modell’s, according to Anne Arundel County police spokeswoman Jacklyn Davis.

Davis said Hammond and the victim did not know each other until the argument.

Davis said police have not located Hammond, who is wanted for the attempted murder, first-degree assault and handgun charges. Police will charge Hammond as an adult, Davis said.

Of the two shots Hammond allegedly fired at the victim, one struck the man in the lower torso, Davis said.

The victim is still in the hospital in stable condition.

Davis said an officer on foot patrol inside of the mall thought he heard fireworks or gunshots. However when police officers arrived they couldn’t find anything.

About half an hour later a gunshot victim walked into a local hospital. After receiving immediate medical care he confirmed with detectives that he was the one shot at the mall.

Detectives obtained security footage from the mall and videos from witnesses who recorded the fight.

It was at that point police identified Hammond, according to Davis.

“Just because we know who shot our victim doesn’t mean this case is closed,” Davis said. “Any additional information can help us in court, or even identify other suspects we may be unaware of.”

Arundel Mills is the location of a remote AACC campus, which is in a building near the mall. The building was closed at the time of the shooting.

Several AACC students were working at stores in the mall when the shooting occurred.

Student Government Association Executive Vice President Jesseca Greene, a third-year game art and design student, was working at Nando’s on Saturday. She said she was “spooked” during the incident.

On Sunday, she said she did not “really want to go into work today because it’s still kind of spooky because they didn’t catch the guy,” she said. “Even though it was a …  ‘targeted shooting,’ it’s still pretty crazy.”

Read Saturday’s story about the shooting here.

edits/ Feb. 20 11:51 a.m. -We have edited this story to update the suspect’s age.