Advisor puts on Online Success Workshop

Provided by Jill Nagiel

The online program Canvas allows for customization for class notifications.

Ashley Sokolowski, Reporter

AACC is offering a four-part online workshop to help students taking non-traditional classes.

Jill Nagiel, an online advisor, held the first of four workshops on Jan 28 to help students taking online class succeed. The workshops are called “Tips for Success in your Online Class.”

During the workshop, Nagiel gave tips for both online and on campus classes.

Nagiel said she started these workshops to “provide support for students who are taking their first online class and giving them tools and things to help and think about as they are getting started to help them be successful.”

Topics covered include tips on getting started, navigating Canvas, getting support, offline strategies for success and getting connected on campus.

In the fall 2018 semester 4,637 students took at least one online class. This number is a drop from the 5,067 students that took at least one online class in the 2013 fall semester, according to Public Relations assistant, Amy Gurtshaw.

“Part of the reason we are offering [the workshop] online is because some of our students don’t necessarily come to campus for their classes,” Nagiel said. “So, by offering the workshop online we thought we’d be able to make it accessible for more students and we are offering it during each of the spring sessions of classes.”

Nagiel held the workshop once in the fall of 2018 and had five students attend. No students attended the first session on Jan 28. Nagiel says she anticipates more will attended the sessions later in the semester.