Online forms available for reporting offenses

Daniel Salomon, Digital Editor

Students can now report sexual harassment through a direct link on the AACC website at the bottom of the college’s home page at aacc.edu.

The new link, called “Report an Incident,” leads to another page where students can report crime, student misconduct, fraud and sexual harassment.

But it is unlikely many students will fill out the form to report sexual harassment.

According to a Campus Current survey of 338 students in April, 32 of the 164 who said they have been sexually harassed reported it.

And of the 12 students who said they have been harassed on campus, three reported it.

This mirrors the finding of the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, which reported that three out of four people who experience sexual harassment never report it to anyone.

At AACC, those who do report it are most likely to go to the police or a trusted professor, according to the Campus Current survey.

Others said they would tell friends or family.

AACC also has a Title IX officer who can take complaints.

“The important part is that they feel comfortable reporting to someone,” said Dr. Felicia Patterson, vice president for learning support services and AACC’s Title IX officer.

Erik Hunter, director of student conduct, said faculty know where to make a report on behalf of a student who tells them about sexual harassment that happens on campus.