New GPA calculation will take effect next fall

Photo by Raquel Hamner

Lacrosse players Payton Baronella-O’Toole and MacKenzie Schwartz practice for a game. Some athletes will be able to count developmental courses in their GPAs next fall.

Vincent Moreland, Sports Editor

Correction: A previous version of this article said AACC would be lowering the GPA requirement for first-semester student athletes. This was incorrect. In fact, the requirement of 1.75 is unchanged from previous semesters.

AACC is changing the way it calculates grade-point average for some student athletes.

Athletes who have completed one semester of college must continue to show a GPA of 1.75 to play on a sports team in their second semester. But AACC’s athletics department will soon accept grades earned in developmental courses and courses taken at other colleges as part of the athletes’ GPA calculation.

The change for freshmen is in line with the requirements of the National Junior College Athletic Association.

Second-year athletes still have to maintain a 2.0 GPA to stay on their teams.

Dr. Amy Allen-Chabot, chair of AACC’s Academic Forum/Council, announced the decision at the February meeting of AACC’s Board of Trustees.

“We want to be consistent with what other colleges are doing,” Allen-Chabot said at the meeting.

Some members of Men’s Lacrosse said the lower GPA will help recruit and keep players on their team.

“We would get a lot more players,” said second-year defenseman Justin Walsh.

A few students who hoped to play Men’s Lacrosse this season are ineligible because their GPAs are too low, or they haven’t taken the 12 credits of classes they need to qualify, Walsh said.

“It would definitely be a lot easier,” said second-year player Charles Ellis. “You wouldn’t have to focus more on your academics—even though you should.”

“‘Student first, athlete second,’” he added, quoting a favorite saying of AACC coaches.

Team captain Dylan Morton, a second-year student, said the team would be better if the GPA requirement were lower.