AACC athletes look up to famous sports icons

Back to Article
Back to Article

Second-year basketball player Terry Kenner says  Lebron James is the sports icon he looks up to.

Second-year basketball player Terry Kenner says Lebron James is the sports icon he looks up to.

Photo courtesy of Flickr user Keith Allison

Vincent Moreland, Sports Editor

To Men’s Soccer right wing Isaiah Goodman, pro soccer player Paul Pogba, 24, of Manchester United is someone to look up to.

“He’s very versatile, very hard working and dedicated to the sport,” Goodman says of the French athlete.

“And it’s amazing to see what he’s accomplished at such a young age. He’s an uprising legend. He makes [me] what I am today, a very dangerous baller on both ends, defense and offense. He does both. He’s great.”

Like Goodman, other AACC athletes say they look up to professional athletes who play the same sports as they do. Some point to the stars’ performance on the court or field, while others admire their charity work and personalities.

Second-year soccer player and transfer studies student Edgar Odenbo says his favorite athlete is Wayne Rooney, another well-known soccer player who also plays in the Premier League. Rooney is second all-time in goals scored in that English soccer league. Rooney plays for Everton.

“Back in the day, he was versatile and he could play anywhere on the field,” says Odenbo, a midfielder.

Second-year basketball player Terry Kenner says he looks up to basketball great LeBron James. James has three championships under his belt and he has led the Miami Heat and Cleveland Cavaliers to the NBA Finals for seven consecutive years.

“He’s a leader,” Kenner, a guard, says. “He leads his team and he’s a hard worker. He works hard for everything that he gets. He looks out for his team.”

Some athletes say they admire athletes who play sports other than their own.

First-year lacrosse player and criminal justice student Camden Stramanak says his favorite athlete is Pittsburgh Penguins hockey player Evgeni Malkin, an alternate captain who has won three championships with the team.

“Even though he doesn’t speak much English, he does his talking by skating through people and putting a puck in the back of the net,” Stramanak says.

Lacrosse captain Dylan Morton, an attackman, says he looks up to Baltimore Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis.

“I love his attitude, his work ethic and the way he looks at life,” says Morton, a second-year student. “I love his leadership on the field even though he’s retired now. I love how he donates to charities and gives back.”

Lewis is a two-time Super Bowl champion and a Pro-Football Hall of Fame inductee, and many consider him the best Ravens leader of all time.

Second-year defense/long stick midfield lacrosse player Justin Walsh says he looks up to another former Raven, wide receiver Torrey Smith.

“He’s just a great overall guy,” Walsh says. “He’s not the best wide receiver in the league. But he’s still one of the better guys in the league that are role models off the field.”

Smith has hosted a charity basketball game in March for six consecutive years. The money from the game went to holiday meals, gifts and scholarships for financially struggling families.