GBTC upgrades tutoring center

Photo by Sarah Sutherland

The Glen Burnie campus recently added a Learning Success Center where students can use college computers and receive tutoring in five subjects.

Mary Kane, Graphic Desinger

AACC’s Glen Burnie Town Center campus added math, reading and science tutors and a Technology Learning Center in March.

The new Learning Success Center, in Room 314 on the remote campus, is a place where students can study or receive tutoring. It opened after students who take classes at GBTC requested study-related services like the ones available at the Arnold location.

“It is a pilot project for the GBTC location to better serve the GBTC college community of students and faculty who are in need of tutoring services face-to-face in a decent environment,” said Fran Kasinof, an academic adviser at Glen Burnie who spearheaded the new learning center’s creation.

She said the new services will save GBTC students from having to travel to Arnold for them.

“I usually don’t study or do school work at [the GBTC] campus because there’s not many places to study, and they’re not very comfortable,” said third-year student Samantha Han. The expanded learning center, she said, will “help a lot with bringing the students together and making it feel more like a community like at Arnold.”

Tutors in math, science, reading, writing and English are available in the Learning Success Center on Mondays and Wednesdays from 4-7 p.m., Tuesdays from 3-5 p.m., Thursdays from 5-7 p.m. and Fridays from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Math tutors can help students with classes ranging from remedial to high level in college algebra, pre-calculus and calculus, Kasinof said. Science tutors can help students with biology, chemistry and physical sciences.

In addition, Kasinof said, students trained in the Supplemental Instruction program for STEM—science, technology, engineering and math—courses will join the tutors in the future.

The Writing Center on the Arnold campus will not set up shop in the new GBTC location, however.

Writing Center Director Jessica Rabin said students at all AACC campuses may visit the Writing Center virtually.

Students can access the Virtual Writing Center through the AACC website.

The Technology Learning Center—or TLC—inside the GBTC learning center offers software and links to videos on computers at the new learning center, according to Kasinof.

The upgraded center has room for students to study and use computers.

“I have the ability to print papers and assignments,” said second-year student Daniela Tamayo, who takes classes at Glen Burnie. “If I need a quiet place to study, I can go to the learning center. They have a lot of resources.”

First-year student Destiney Battle agreed. “I do occasionally go there to study and do class work,” she said. “It’s really quiet and the staff is very nice and helpful.”