AACC plans exhibits, speeches; celebrates Black Hist. Month

AACC has the only statue of Martin Luther King in Maryland. A mobile exhibit featuring artifacts from the year of his death will visit the college in February. Photo by Brandon Hamilton

Alexandra Radovic, Associate Editor

In celebration of Black History Month in February, AACC will host art exhibits, speeches and an interactive notecard display.

The Black History 101 mobile museum exhibit, “[’68],” will feature more than 150 original artifacts that focus on the major events from 1968, the year of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s assassination.

Visitors can view a document signed by King as well as memorabilia involving the 1968 Olympics, famous African-American figures in history, the trans-Atlantic slave trade and the Jim Crow laws.

AACC is not the first college to present this. The exhibit travels to institutions in different states. It will be on campus on Feb. 12 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the SUN Dining Hall.

“It is cool to have events like this and it is good to advertise ourselves as a college of diversity,” said second-year transfer studies major Raphael Corletta.

From 11 a.m. to 11:50 a.m., Khalid el-Hakim, museum founder and one of Black Enterprise’s Top 100 Men of Distinction, will give a speech.

Rafael Garcia-Mendez, a second-year media productions major, said the Black History Month events “sound interesting. I would go see some of them.”

A microaggressions webinar will focus on common microaggressions—subtle or unintentional discriminations—that black men face in community colleges, and will take place on Feb. 14 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. in Room 101 of the Florestano Building.

The Black Male Initiative will hold its seventh annual Black Male Summit, where faculty, staff, students and community members will promote minority male success and learn about the AACC support services that help black male students overcome challenges. The Summit, which has a record of 115 attendees, will meet in CALT 100 on Feb. 28 from 1:30 p.m. to 4 p.m.

“TRYBE-ALL”—a collection of artworks by performer, poet, composer, artist and founder of Enrapture Records Tony Spencer—will be in the Pascal Art Gallery from Feb. 1 to Feb. 28.

Students, staff and faculty can share their observations and experiences about race on the AACC “Race Card” wall. The wall reflects the “Race Card” project founded by Michelle Norris, a journalist for National Public Radio. The wall will be on the first floor of the Careers Building, the CALT Building and the Humanities Building from Feb. 12-23.

Finally, on Feb. 22 at 11 a.m., the Kan Kouran African Dance Company, from Washington, D.C., will perform West African-style dance in the SUN Dining Hall.