Harassment has no place here

Sarah Sutherland, Campus Life Editor

While walking to class, I often steer away from groups of men to eliminate the chances of unwanted comments or cat-calling.

The most common form of sexual harassment is commentary, but it can also include honking, whistling, body gestures, stalking and staring. Basically, any unwanted inappropriate attention can be sexual harassment.

I have only been cat-called once while at AACC, although never would have been better.

The American Association of University Women, a national organization that promotes equality and education for women, reported that 62 percent of college students have experienced sexual harassment on campus.

Clearly, colleges aren’t doing a good enough job of protecting and teaching their students about this issue.

Some harassers view it as a compliment, but it’s not. Women do not appreciate your unsolicited comments.

Men rarely have to think about some of the things women do. For example, I usually wear a sweatshirt and leggings to school because I want to, but whenever I wear anything more fashionable or that shows more skin, it is taken as a green light for sexual harassment.

Why does the fact that I dressed up a little bit increase my chances of being harassed?

Cat-calling, however, is not the victim’s fault; I can still get cat-called in my sweatshirt and leggings, just not as often.

How hard is it to understand that sexual comments and actions are not wanted unless they’re asked for? It’s that simple.

Maybe if more people understood this, then I wouldn’t have to worry about potential harassment when walking around campus.

Harassers: Keep your comments to yourself. I go to college to learn, not to get harassed.

Sarah Sutherland is a second-year mass communication student. She hopes to go into the media business and work for a large company in New York City.