AACC’s Men’s Basketball fall short in 1st home game

Back to Article
Back to Article

Photo by Roxanne Ready

Photo by Roxanne Ready

Photo by Roxanne Ready

Vincent Moreland, Reporter

AACC’s Riverhawks Men’s basketball lost their home opener Nov. 15 to the Community College of Baltimore County Dundalk’s Lions 70-63.

Guard Terry Kenner scored 19 points, shooting 8-17 from the court and 3-5 from three-point range. Kenner also contributed three rebounds and four assists.

“They just got us,” said Kenner. “They controlled the boards [and] were a real athletic team.”

The Lions outscored the Riverhawks 46-36 in the second-half, after AACC led 27-24 at halftime, partly because of the 17 Riverhawks’ turnovers compared to the Lions’ 14 turnovers.

Despite the errors, head coach Joe Snowden said he believes his team will get better.

“[We had] too many turnovers,” said Snowden. “We’ve got a young team. … We need to trust ourselves more in the game [and] rebound better.”

The Riverhawks started the season 0-3.

Captain and forward Clinton Smith, who scored eight points, had six rebounds and five assists, said the Lions’ ability to draw fouls and score free throws had an impact.

“[In the] second half, we were together,” Smith said. “But we let up on our defense and they got too many buckets inside the paint.”

CCBC Dundalk shot 14-19 foul shots, compared to AACC’s 3-6 from the free throw line.

The Riverhawks’ next four games are home games at the Arnold Campus.

Kenner said he was confident about the team’s chances.  “[Our] chemistry is getting a lot better… We’re gonna be alright.”