October features dance recitals, opera shows

Student+actors+Grant+Scherin+%28left%29%2C+Jonas+Pallaro-+Somneborn+and+Alec+Moyes+are+rehearsing+for+the+upcoming+play+%E2%80%9CNeverwhere%E2%80%9D+opening+on+Nov.+3.+

Photo by Roxanne Ready

Student actors Grant Scherin (left), Jonas Pallaro- Somneborn and Alec Moyes are rehearsing for the upcoming play “Neverwhere” opening on Nov. 3.

Elizabeth Spearman, Associate Editor for the web

AACC’s Opera Company will celebrate its 15th anniversary on Sept. 30 and Oct. 1 with a gala show featuring former students and faculty who have performed at AACC over the years.
Here is a roundup of performing arts events coming up in October.
Opera AACC
More than 135 performers will join the production, including members of AACC’s symphony orchestra. Guest artists include singers from Overlea High School in Baltimore.
James Harp, an organist at the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra, will direct the show.
The show is in French, Italian and English, and will take place in the Kauffman Theater.
Professor Douglas Byerly is in charge of the production.
“It’s a great and wonderful time for everyone involved,” Byerly said. “I think it’s our best opera and if people have never seen an opera, this show is a great start.”
Jazz Clinic
AACC’s World Class Jazz will hold a clinic and a concert on Oct. 7.
The clinic will take place in CADE 224 and the concert will take place in HUM 112.
Amy Shook, a bassist for the band Shook/Russo 5tet will lead the clinic and concert.
The clinic is an opportunity for anyone to ask questions of band members and learn about writing music.
The concert will consist of original music from different members of the band. They have not picked a set playlist and plan to “go with the flow,” said Shook.
Shook explained that the show is a “great opportunity to give back to the community.”
Ian Wardenski, director of the performing arts department, said he is a “great supporter of jazz and live music.”
“I’m a fan of the band and thought having them at the college will be fun,” Wardenski said.
Students said they are excited to attend the jazz concert.
“I’ve heard of the band before so I am excited to see them and I think jazz is fun to listen to,” Kelly Jahnigen, a second-year Spanish major, said.
Maasai Dancers
On Oct. 10, Maasai Dancers from Kenya will appear at the Pascal Center for Performing Arts on campus.
The dancers will present traditional Kenyan Maasai music, dance, crafts and storytelling.
The event is a partnership with World Artists Experiences, a non-profit organization that bridges international understanding through citizen and cultural diplomacy, according to the group’s website.
The performance will double as a fundraiser to help install working wells in Kenya.
“I think it’s good the school is bringing in performances from different countries,” Jasmine Hall, a second-year computer science major, said. “I think that it will be interesting to see.”
Other Events
The Theatre club will host a haunted house on Oct. 13 that will double as a fundraiser to help raise money for the club.
AACC’s part-time and full-time music staff will hold its annual Fall faculty recital on Oct. 20.
In addition to the October events, the Performing Arts Department will hold its fall show “Neverwhere” on Nov. 3, 4, 10, 11 and 12.