Amaranth publishes new magazine

Amaranth+published+their+42nd+edition+of+the+literary+magazine+on+April+19.+

Photo by Jesse Johnson

Amaranth published their 42nd edition of the literary magazine on April 19.

Jesse Johnson, Editor-in-Chief

AACC’s Amaranth club released its latest literary journal last week at its last Coffeehouse event of the semester.

The 42nd edition of the literary magazine features poems and short stories by students in the club.

Dr. Susan Cohen, Amaranth’s co-adviser, said the latest issue, with 127 pages, is “exceptional” and hopes the students will share it among their peers.

“I hope [students] will see the quality of our student writing and the beauty of the imagination in this issue,” Cohen said.

Club member Mary McKiel designed the issue’s cover art and contributed a poem and some photographs for the new edition.

McKiel said the talent at AACC is amazing, and that this year’s edition of Amaranth should make people smile.

“It should make people say, ‘Look at the combined visual arts with poetry,’ and make people think to themselves, ‘Wow, this is a cool thing. Maybe I could write someday,’” McKiel told Campus Current.

Campus Current Associate Editor Brad Dress, who contributed a short story to the issue, won the Marjorie Flack award, which recognizes the best short story or children’s book.

“It made me really happy to win one of the hardest competitions in the school, at least for creative writing,” Dress said. “It’s my first work that has been published in a magazine, and it’s a stepping stone toward my goals.”

The latest edition of Amaranth’s magazine can be found on news racks alongside Campus Current all over campus.