Mozart classic comes to AACC

The+Magic+Flute+production+combines+a+narrative+story+with+spoken+word+and+operatic+music+written+by+Wolfgang+Amadeus+Mozart.+

Photo by Britney Pieraldi

The Magic Flute production combines a narrative story with spoken word and operatic music written by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.

Jymyaka Braden, Reporter

AACC’s Opera Club is preparing to bring Mozart’s The Magic Flute–hailed as one of the greatest operas he ever composed–to the college in January.

The production combines the narrative storytelling of writer Emanuel Schikaneder with Mozart’s opera. The show will feature both operatic singing and spoken word.

The plot involves the Queen of the Night, a character in the play, who tries to persuade a prince to rescue her daughter from the high priest Sarastro, the supposed villain. However, when the prince meets the assumed enemy, he discovers that maybe Sarastro is not the villain after all.

Associate Professor of Music and Artistic Director of Opera Douglas Byerly explained the excitement in bringing this production to AACC.

“There is nothing more sacred in my book than live art,” Byerly said. “We’ve got beautiful music, there are costumes, lights. To go out and experience it [live] is unique, whether you’re going to a club, a concert, or in this case, the opera.”

Byerly explained why many people believe The Magic Flute is one of Mozart’s greatest works.

“I think there is something to be said about a piece of music that people still want to perform 225 years later,” Byerly said. “Essentially it’s a story about love and the pursuit of love. Not just romantic love but really the love of one another. Brotherhood, friendship and trust. What we live for as human beings.”

AACC student Julie Bosworth, who plays the Queen of the Night, said the music of the character drew her into the role she plays.

“I have always had a passion for singing,” Bosworth said. “Mozart is one of my favorite composers and his music is just so easy to sing, although this role as Queen of the Night does take me up into the stratosphere.”

Bosworth also said she enjoys the experience of performing on stage and getting into different character roles.

“I look forward to stepping into the role of the queen and scaring the living daylights out of the audience,” Bosworth said, “[and] keeping them on the edge of their seats.”

AACC theater student Lizzy Cameron said she saw the production in seventh grade and knew she wanted to be a part of it.

“When I heard Night Queen’s Aria, I thought it was the most beautiful song I ever heard,” said Cameron, who is an ensemble choir member in the rendition. “So when I heard the school was putting it on, I wanted to be a part of it.”

The Magic Flute will show at the Pascal Center for Performing Arts from Jan. 27 to Feb. 4.

General admission is $25; AACC student tickets are $5; and faculty and staff tickets are $15.